People with high school diplomas or GED certificates earn more money than people without them. People with college degrees earn even more. Even if you're still on the street, even if you’ve been out of school for years, YouthCare can help you get back on track to building the life you want.


Getting a GED (General Education Development) Certificate is one option for youth 16 and over who have not completed their high school diploma. Starting January 3rd, 2014, the GED will be a fully electronic test consisting of 4 subject areas. YouthCare’s team of GED teachers and volunteer tutors will help you prepare. They'll develop an individual education plan with you, provide small-group and one-on-one instruction in the content covered on the test, and support you as you develop other skills that make for continuing success in education, employment, and life.

How to get started on your GED at YouthCare:

  • Come into the Orion Center between 1pm and 4pm, Monday – Friday, so we can administer a CASAS test. This is an appraisal of your current level of education and is also used for placement in YouthCare’s work-training programs. Stopping by in the afternoon will also allow us time to orient you to the program and get you the information you need to get started.
  • After you’ve taken the CASAS, attend GED tutoring Monday–Friday, 9:00am-12:30pm, at the Orion Center.

For additional info, please call our GED team at (206) 724-0965.

YouthCare's Interagency Academy - Orion Campus

Orion Interagency Academy students are officially enrolled in Seattle Public Schools and headed for their high school diploma — but they study with others who've been through similar experiences, and they learn from teachers who are dedicated to helping homeless youth succeed. Whether you have one credit left to go or are starting at the beginning of the high school curriculum, we can help you graduate.

How to get started on your high school diploma at YouthCare:

  • Talk to the Education Coordinator or your case manager at Orion and tell them you want to enroll. 
  • Come to an Interagency Academy Orientation with Seattle Public Schools. Call (206) 252-6800 to schedule an appointment and find out more. 
  • Once you have attended orientation, you must call Seattle Public Schools to enroll.
  • Attend classes at the James W. Ray Orion Center, [Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri., 9:00am to 3:00pm, Weds. 12:30pm-3:00pm]

For more information, call the Interagency Academy at (206) 252-6800.

Applying to College

Applying to college may seem like a daunting process, but YouthCare is there to help - from seeking scholarships to writing application essays.

We are partnering with Seattle Education Access to provide one-on-one college counseling, workshops, tutoring for COMPASS testing, and campus visits. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, call the Education Coordinator at (206) 724-0948.